Equestrian Fashion Outfitters
Rider of the Month
We are very proud to introduce our 'Rider of the Month' for the month of July, Peter Gisborn!
Peter runs a top notch equestrian facility in Erin, Ontario with his wife Brittany Gisborn. When he isn’t busy coaching his students, Peter is out in the hunter/jumper rings showing and competing! We are so excited to showcase Peter for the month of July (in honour of Canada Day) as our ‘Rider of the Month’. Read on to learn more about Peter and the advice he has to offer!
- How did you enter the Equestrian Industry?
I was born into the business and am proud to be a fourth generation equestrian.
- What is your first memory you have with horses?
My first memory I had with horses was with a pony named Lady, at our farm. I believe I was about two years old!
- Did you always know that you would be working with horses as a profession?
Absolutely. The only job that I ever wanted was to be around horses, for me there was no other career path I wanted to take.
- What does an average day look like for you?
An average day always starts with morning chores. Once those are done I move onto riding and teaching the rest of the day. Phone calls interspersed in there.
- What are the most common challenges you face?
The most common challenges are really whether I will have enough time to get everything done. Days don’t seem long enough around here.
- Do you have any suggestions for young riders aspiring to become professional riders?
Work hard and don’t be too proud to start at the bottom. Did I mention work hard?
- As a Neachai Ayurveda sponsored rider, what are the benefits you have seen by using these supplements? Which is your most used?
I have used a wide variety of the Neachai Ayurveda products. Theresa does a great job individualizing products for specific horses.
- What is the one thing you can never go to a horse-show without? (i.e. lucky socks)
My Backpack! It has everything: helmet, sunscreen, water, spurs, etc.
- Do you have any horse-show rituals? (other than getting Tim’s at 4am)
No, not really!
- What is your favourite post-horseshow thing to do? (i.e. relax with a glass of wine, unpack the trailer etc.)
Post-horseshow I like to relax and discuss the day, as well as what the plan is for the next day.
- What do you like to do when you manage to get some time off and away from the barn?
Lately, do work around my house. Garden, landscape, those sorts of things.
- Describe the funniest wardrobe malfunction that you have had when riding?
Grabbed my father’s brown show coat when I was 13, had to wear it for the day. At the time I was very embarrassed!
- What is your go-to late night snack?
Canadian Question Time!
- What is your go-to Tim Hortons order?
- What is your favourite Canadian Horse Show to go to?
Royal Agricultural Winter Fair!
- Who is your favourite top Canadian rider?
- What is your favourite thing about being Canadian?
- Who is your favourite Canadian actor/actress?
- What is your most memorable moment from the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair?
First time showing with my large pony, Right On.
- Your must-have snack from the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair?
Maple Leaf Fudge and a Lamb on a bun!
Would you rather… (bold one)
Be forced to show in paddock boots and polos or Hunter rain boots?
Show in a sleeveless shirt or a bright neon green show coat?
Fall in the warm-up ring or go into the ring with a very mud covered horse?
Split your breeches in the ring or have your reins break mid-course?
Have your horse refuse a jump or not even make it down the shoot?
Swim in the ocean with your horse or travel the mountains via horseback?
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer our questions. We wish you and your family all the best, we will be cheering you on and look forward to what you accomplish!
Equestrian Fashion Outfitters